Meet Our Attorneys
Veronica Freitas focuses her practice in family law. She routinely handles cases with significant assets that require business and property valuations. She also represents individuals involved in complex child custody disputes, including those with allegations of domestic violence. Veronica frequently represents individuals involved in same-sex relationships with their family law matters.
Veronica has an LLM in taxation, which makes her particularly well-qualified to evaluate the property and financial aspects of cases. In addition, she litigated several high-profile criminal cases and gained invaluable trial experience. Her diverse background complements her family law practice, and her clients benefit from her breadth of knowledge and experience.
Her criminal background is advantageous in many family law matters, especially those where criminal allegations are pending, or domestic violence is alleged and protection orders are being sought. Her tax and estate planning experience is particularly useful when drafting and reviewing prenuptial or postnuptial agreements and property settlement agreements.
Veronica has direct and frequent contact with her clients. She keeps her clients informed and involved in their cases throughout her representation. Her personal philosophy is to attempt to resolve cases as expeditiously as possible so that her clients can move forward with their lives. She is not anxious to engage in a court battle, but she is very qualified and competent to do so in those instances where a court appearance or trial is necessary.
- Washington State Bar, admitted in 1990
- United States District Court for the Western District of Washington
- United States Tax Court
- University of Washington Law School, LLM in Taxation 1998
- Northwestern School of Law at Lewis and Clark College, J.D. 1989
- Portland State University, Honors Program, B.S. 1986
- King County Bar Association – Family Law And Real Property,
Probate And Trust Sections
- Washington State Bar Association – Family Law and Real Property
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Washington Women Lawyers
Cases In The News:
Renton Movie Theater Shooting – Not Guilty Attempted Murder
1 & Assault 1
- Witness recounts scene of movie theater shooting, Seattle Times, Jan 2000
- Renton man acquitted of attempted murder, Seattle Times, Jan 2000
Mistrial in Murder for Hire of Boeing Man – Hung Jury 9 –
3 to acquit on Murder 1
- Mistrial is declared in murder-for-hire case, Seattle PI, Feb 2008
Rafay/Longest Criminal Trial In King County History/Jury Settles
In For Long Haul
- Rafay attorney says police erred in zeroing in on pair, Seattle Times,
- After 9-year saga, search for justice…, Seattle Times, Nov 2003
- Rafay jury settles in for long haul in big trial, Seattle Times, Dec 2003
- Rafay and Burns are convicted of murder, Seattle PI, May 2004
Assault Trial Ends In Hung Jury – Police Officer Dragged
- Assault trial ends in hung jury as driver’s intent is debated, Seattle PI,
Michael Rivers joined V. Freitas Law, with 18 years of experience in family law, probate and criminal defense. He successfully assisted families and individuals navigate the estate planning process to correctly and efficiently maximize the transfer of assets to their loved ones and minimize estate taxes. He represented hundreds of clients in over a dozen counties with misdemeanor and felony charges through successful negotiation, bench trials and jury trials.
Michael is well-versed in a variety of family law issues, including divorce, custody, visitation, child support and property division. His experience both in and out of the courtroom, coupled with his enthusiasm for the law, enables him to effectively represent his clients in all aspects of family law matters. Michael recognizes that each case is unique, and he takes the time to provide his clients with thorough legal analysis and case strategies to guide them through the legal process in order to achieve their goals.
Michael is a family law advocate who is committed to helping our clients get their lives back on track in a way that is both efficient and affordable. He understands that situations such as divorce are beyond people’s control and that his clients need someone who will guide and support them through the legal process. He is invested in protecting your rights and the rights of your children.
Michael received his Juris Doctor from the University of Dayton School of Law. He graduated cum laude from the State University of New York at Buffalo with degrees in accounting and financial analysis. He is licensed to practice law in both Washington and New York. He is a member of the Washington State Bar, New York Bar and King County Bar Association.