Providing Attorney Representation in Seattle, WA since 1991
Knowing the Ins and Outs of Divorce
When it comes right down to it, divorce can be one of the roughest things for any individual and/or family to go through.
From dealing with the mental anguish to the financial fallout, many people find it difficult to get through a divorce.
That said having a Seattle divorce attorney to help you through the intricacies of a breakup is important.
With the right divorce attorney in Seattle on your side, you stand a better chance of getting a fair and impartial settlement when all is said and done.
Among the top questions one would consider asking as they ponder a divorce in Washington State:
- Can I proceed with a divorce without a consenting spouse – Yes;
- If I choose to ignore a summons and other legal paperwork from my spouse’s attorney, can he or she still move ahead with the divorce? Yes;
- As a male parent, is it a guarantee that my soon-to-be ex-wife will get full or majority of custody for the children? No. Custody is oftentimes split between the parents, so don’t assume that you have no rights as a male parent. In most cases, courts will look to see what is in the best interests of the child or children;
- Is Washington State a community property state? Yes. All income that is made and any property either spouse attains from the beginning of their marriage on are considered community property. This means it must be divided equitably when all is said and done. Community items would include a home, vehicle, investments funds, retirement accounts, pensions, etc. In most cases, property which was accrued prior to the marriage will be looked upon as separate, however, if the parties co-habited prior to marriage, property they acquired during that time period may be treated as community like property;
- What will my divorce cost me in terms of legal fees? – This is a harder one to answer, though any reputable divorce attorney should be able to give you an estimate of what their services will cost, along with what you can expect to get for those costs.
As you go through this difficult chapter in your life, the right divorce attorney can increase the chances of making sure you get what is rightfully yours.