Home / Practice Areas / Mediation Importance
Providing Attorney Representation in Seattle, WA since 1991
Anyone who has gone through a divorce before can tell you that it is no fun. That is true even when the desire to dissolve the marriage is mutual. That does not mean that the process has to be a gut wrenching experience throughout.
MEDIATION IN THE DIVORCE PROCESS
Mediation provides an opportunity for two people to work out their disagreements outside of court.
If you are considering mediation, will you have the right Seattle mediation attorney backing you up?
Your legal advisor can be the difference between a prolonged, contentious divorce and one that is resolved expeditiously.
When considering a mediation attorney in Seattle, remember these pointers:
- Never underestimate the importance of experience. While there are some fine young mediation attorneys out there, finding someone that has been down this road time and time again can make all the difference in the world regarding your case;
- Look for a mediation attorney that knows how the other side is likely to present its case. The last thing you want in your divorce case is protracted litigation. Cases can drag on for months and even years, causing a great deal of stress, not to mention substantially increased expenses.
- Once you have settled on your Seattle area legal team, make sure to do the following:
- Be clear with your attorney about your goals in mediation. Going the mediation route allows you to lessen the chances for conflict between you and your significant other;
- Listen to your attorney’s advice. Your mediation attorney will be able to advise you on what is a reasonable settlement range for all of the issues in your case. If your expectations are not reasonable, you are not likely to settle your case. Remember, the other party probably has an experienced attorney telling them what to expect and what is unreasonable. The mediator will usually share their opinion on what is a reasonable settlement with both sides as well.
As stressful as divorce can be, it can be made a little easier when you have the right mediation attorney in your corner giving you sound advice that you can rely upon.